Spring roll or Indonesian called it with "Lumpia", are a large variety of filled, rolled appetizers. The name is a literal translation of the Chinese chūn juǎn (春卷) found widely in Asian and Southeast Asian cuisine. The kind of wrapper, fillings, and cooking technique used, as well as the name, vary considerably within this large area.
I do love spring roll. My mother usually make this for me and my family when Ramadhan (fasting month) come or make it only for snack in our daily. Although fried spring roll is more crunchy than this one, but in my personal taste I like the one that is not fried better than the fried one. I love the authentic taste of the original flavor of spring roll wrapper.
This recipe is adapted from Resep Keluarga Nugraha which I changed the filling. In original recipe used chicken meat, shrimp, and bamboo shoot. Just because my husband is a vegetarian, so I only use bamboo shoot, sprout, and carrot for the filling. I didn't make the dipping sauce as the recipe written. I only serve this with simple chilli sauce, bird's eye chilli pepper, and spring onion.
Lumpia Sayur (Vegetable Spring Roll)
Category : Appetizer and Snacks
Style : Indonesian
Servings : 20 spring rolls
· 110 grams all-purpose flour
· 60 grams rice flour
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 350 ml water
· 5 tablespoons cooking oil
· ½ teaspoons salt
· ½ teaspoons chicken bouillon powder (optional)
· 6 medium-sized shallots
· 4 cloves garlic
· 120 grams bamboo shoot, finely chopped
· 120 grams carrots, finely chopped
· 100 grams sprouts
· 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
· 2 teaspoons sugar
· ½ teaspoons salt
· ½ teaspoons pepper
Hot chili sauce
- Wrapper : made thinly wrapper using a 20 cm-frying pan
- Filling : Sautee garlic and shallot at a medium-high heat in a pan until fragrant. Add bamboo shoot, carrot, and sprout. Stir evenly. Add oyster sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper until well-cooked. Remove from the heat and leave it in room temperature.
- Take a spring roll wrapper and fill with approximately 1 tablespoons of filling mixture. Wrap and shape it.
- Serve the spring rolls with the hot chili sauce, bird’s eye chili pepper, and spring onion.